The above is a photograph of the main church building of St. James Parish in Wilmington, North Carolina. This building fronts on 3rd Street which can be seen on the lower right side of the photograph. It is at the corner of Market Street which appears on the lower left side of the photograph.
An earlier building existed when Cornelius Harnett was a member. It was built in 1751 and the only thing that remains is the graveyard that fronts on 4th Street. In 1781, during the American Revolution, St. James was seized by British Troops under Lord Cornwallis and converted into a stable and riding school for Tarleton’s dragoons. 1 During this invasion by the British Cornelius Harnett was captured and imprisoned.
1. History about St. James Parish, http://www.stjamessp.org/refresh/templatss/about.php?id=4
- 1 [↩]